Thread: Theme for AvArcade 5.0

Default New Web 2.0 Theme for AvArcade 5.0

I herd about AVarcade 5.0 and I got interested, I really wanted to become part of a deveopment team of this project but saw no openings.

My name is Lewis, I am an experinced Ajax, PHP, HTML, XHTML, Javascript, CSS and Web 2.0 Deveoper, I saw AVarcade as a new project for me to work on and I saw that the owner of this software wants a nice new look. So I designed this in 20 minutes and as soon as the system comes out, I will code it.
    Or if the owner wants he could give me a beta/aplha release and i would code it ASAP.

Well enought chit chat here it is:

Click here to see the design

Click here to see View comments page (Ajax Window)

It didnt take me that long to do but I thought it might be an improvement that I will offer free to this script.

Let me know what you think!
    Regards,
    Lewis
    Last edited by -M-A-R-K-; 09-02-2009 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Image resized to stop page from stretching

License owner

Looking good, looking forward to trying it.

Thanks Alex

Pretty freaking sweet man, I like the comment box and the simple design of the game page. No clutter while playing, just game. That is probably the best thing about avarcade 5.0.

Great job.

License owner

Woah, dude! That is some pretty awesome coding and design there!

License owner

Looks great, But ia am not a fan of the pop up comments, Although it might actually be good. =D
    Tower Defense Games
    Looking to own your own Browser RPG Game? Check out: OutGGs Browser MMORPG Script

Default RE:

Thanks for the great feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxygamers View Post
    Looks great, But ia am not a fan of the pop up comments, Although it might actually be good. =D
    Its not a popup its an Ajax Window, meaning the user has to command to see it by clikcing the comments link

License owner

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by games511 View Post
    Thanks for the great feedback.

Its not a popup its an Ajax Window, meaning the user has to command to see it by clikcing the comments link
    Dude! That is so cool! I will donate to you if you plan to release this theme!

What would happen if the user wanted to read the comments while the game loads? With the comments in a popup window, they wouldn't know when the game is done loading.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferron View Post
    What would happen if the user wanted to read the comments while the game loads? With the comments in a popup window, they wouldn't know when the game is done loading.
    Well, since barely anyone comments they would finish reading the comments before it loaded anyways. And that is every website, ex: addictinggames. They have the comments under the game so to see if it is loaded you have to scroll up. This is better because you click a button and you see the game. Anyways, won't you hear the sound once it is loaded?

Quote Originally Posted by killer1390 View Post
    Well, since barely anyone comments they would finish reading the comments before it loaded anyways. And that is every website, ex: addictinggames. They have the comments under the game so to see if it is loaded you have to scroll up. This is better because you click a button and you see the game. Anyways, won't you hear the sound once it is loaded?
    Okay but what would happen if Javscript was turned off?

Well, too bad for the player. Barely anyone has javascript turned off, there is just no point.

Default RE:

Most "Modern" websites now require Javascript to be on in order for them to function propley. Therefore is the browser did not have Javascript on then the Ajax engine wouldn't work resulting the in Ajax window and overlays to not work.

I think this article sums up how important graceful degradation is:
    http://james.padolsey.com/javascript...still-matters/

If you don't want to read all that, I think this quote sums it up:
    It’s not only the "paranoid geeks" who will have JavaScript disabled, there are many other valid reasons for JavaScript not working. Ignoring these users is selfish, against standards and is definitely a bad business decision!

Reasons for JavaScript being disabled:

* Security reasons. (to protect from XSS attacks and Internet Explorer’s multiple security flaws etc.)
    * JavaScript slows down a user’s already slow dialup connection.
    * Browser sometimes crashes because of excessive JS, user disables it.
    * Popups, onBeforeUnload alerts, disabled right-click etc. - User get’s **CENSORED** off and disables JavaScript!
    * User is disabled in some way and uses a screen reader such as JAWS, Windows-eyes, SpeakThis etc. (Each having no or limited JavaScript support)
    * User is surfing from behind a corporate firewall - the firewall blocks client-side-scripting. .
    * Very old browsers don’t support JavaScript.
    * Mobile web browsers only have limited support of JavaScript. (’Opera 4 mobile’ uses a proxy which strips out most JavaScript)
    Last edited by alexander; 09-05-2009 at 06:11 PM. Reason: removed swearing

AV Scripts Founder

But to be honest, for people to not be using JavaScript in 2009 they must have specifically decided to turn it off. It's not because their browser doesn't support it (IE has supported it for 13 years). Also, you have to think this is a flash games website. Mobile users and people with outdated browsers would not be able to use the sites main function anyway.

That just leaves people who decided to turn javascript off. They made that descision. Obviously there's no specific stats for it but my guess would be that 98% of flash game players have javascript enabled.

Looking at W3C schools they show that 95% of people have JS enabled. So 5 in every 100 wouldn't be able to leave a comment. Also remember that the 95% statistic comes from a website which is targeted at tech savvy developers and not your average, young, game player who worries about security and uses facebook constantly (which 100% relies on javascript).

EDIT: For fun I just turned off javascript to see how things went as I browsed around. 5 mins later and it's back on:

Sites I visit:
    Digg: No digging, no comments
    Kotaku: No comments
    Gmail: Fail, low functionality version
    PayPal: Large message telling you to turn it on
    Steam: Can't browse through many games lists
    This forum: Cannot format messages, when editing html is visible

General, popular flash game websites:
    Kongregate: No game, no comments, no social features, bugged menu
    Addincting Games (biggest flash game website on the net): No game, no comments, no ratings and a lot more

In conclusion: Most websites actually use javascript to embed flash meaning javascript is 100% required if you want to play flash games. So, usage of javascript should not be worried about on arcade websites.

I hope I have convinced you Ferron that javascript incompatibilities are not something to worry about

Yay, now I don't have to argue. Thanks Andy.
    Last edited by killer1390; 09-06-2009 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Forgot the peridod.