Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mochi Media Is Shutting Down

AV Scripts Founder

Default Mochi Media Is Shutting Down

Today, out of nowhere it has been announced that Mochi is shutting down at the end of this month: http://mochiland.com/articles/mochi-...e-of-3-31-2014

This is a huge inconvenience to a lot of arcade owners as it means the end to their highscore, feeds and game hosting. If you hotlink games from them, they may be removed soon.

I will work on creating a downloader so that people can hopefully switch their hotlinked games to hosted games before they are removed. I'll work on that this weekend.

I've opened a temporary forum for discussion: http://forum.avscripts.net/forumdisp...Media-Shutdown

If you hotlink games from mochi, you will urgently want to run this script: http://forum.avscripts.net/showthrea...4328#post84328

Andy
    Wherever possible, please use the forum to ask for support rather than sending me a PM
    I help where I can with code changes/modification but overall: if the script doesn't do something you want it to do, please suggest it for a future update.

License owner

Hmmm out of the blue. How to to know if any of my sites games are hotlinked or downloaded?

License owner

Wow wonder what happened, they have a nice site with a large amount of members. That is very disappointing to say the least. Thank you for working on a solution for us Andy.
    Last edited by Starnova; 03-15-2014 at 01:32 AM.

I agree that this is very disappointing and surprising too. In fact, just this morning as I was adding games to my sites from Mochi I was wishing that I had created Mochimedia because I'd probably be a millionaire. I can't believe they are shutting down, but it is good to know about this now I guess, rather than finding out on the 31st. I can live without the high scores (although I did like them), but the worst is that I got a good portion of my games from them. I guess if we've downloaded the swf files and are hosting the games ourselves that they'll still work.

Okay, so I just visited the Mochi site and read their announcement. Here is a quote from their site:

"Games distributed by Mochi that are hosted on publisher sites will be playable, but all of the other services including Ads, Live Updates, Scores, Achievements and Analytics will no longer function, and we can no longer extend the right for publishers to host these games"

This is the part that I'm actually asking about:

we can no longer extend the right for publishers to host these games

Does this mean that we can no longer have these games published on our site? Or am I misinterpreting it?

My website is obtained from mochi raised all links I mentioned how as it die?

License owner

Thank you andy for working on solution.

I liked their highscore api and distribution service.

License owner

It's a shame when I hear of any web company shutting down, but they do have a ton of digital assets. I hope they would release/sell their library/source code.

License owner

Hopefully on april first it'll be announced as an april fools joke

License owner

Its a shame they close down

License owner

Right now I am going through all the game pages.. to find the hot linked MochiMedia files. I usually upload my own games from various sites but I know I have several I hot linked from them. So for the time being I am just going to unpublish my MochiMedia stuff and download and install new games in their place as they are dormant. LOL

Andy I wish to know if you can possibly add the Fupa feed in place of MochiMedia in the next version.
    Last edited by Starnova; 03-15-2014 at 06:11 PM.

License owner

Andy do you think it would be possible to rewrite the leaderboard.js that is normally called from mochi to just make it a local file for the scoring system?
    So we can still give highscores?
    Last edited by TwistedGenius; 03-15-2014 at 07:16 PM.

License owner

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedGenius View Post
    Andy do you think it would be possible to rewrite the leaderboard.js that is normally called from mochi to just make it a local file for the scoring system?
    So we can still give highscores?
    I'm pretty sure that he can't, because game doesn't call "leadboard.js", game is calling Mochi, mochi save the score and then ping back the website with the result. If mochi is gone, score isn't send to mochi and also, website doesn't receive any score data. I don't speak English very well to explain better, but I think you got the point.

To still use HighScores, you will have to use custom games with highscore (you have to make them to send score directly to your server).

I have 10000 links of mochi game how now I have: (
    =>> Z6VN

License owner

Hyuga, but we can use mod_rewrite for ping http://mochimedia.com to other server or not?

License owner

I don't think to be possible something like that. Games were created to work with mochi, now if mochi will be gone, all those functions will no longer work. The good thing is that games are still working

Even if Mochi closes, flash isn’t dead. As long as there are developers who still believe in flash. That’s why they are building a New Mochi as we speak. You can join them and spread the good news: http://tinyurl.com/pyr5m66

Thanks!

AV Scripts Founder

I'm definitely interested in getting involved in something to replace some of Mochi's services. Primarily I'd like to see a highscore system that is not tied to any 3rd party service. The games need to talk straight to the publisher site alongside the 3rd party site so that if the 3rd party site ever goes down, the highscores still function on the host site.
    Wherever possible, please use the forum to ask for support rather than sending me a PM
    I help where I can with code changes/modification but overall: if the script doesn't do something you want it to do, please suggest it for a future update.

License owner

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I'm definitely interested in getting involved in something to replace some of Mochi's services. Primarily I'd like to see a highscore system that is not tied to any 3rd party service. The games need to talk straight to the publisher site alongside the 3rd party site so that if the 3rd party site ever goes down, the highscores still function on the host site.
    Andy I could kiss you! I've been dying to hear you say that since the day I bought AVA.