Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forums for AV Arcade released

AV Scripts Founder

Default Forums for AV Arcade released

Built from the ground-up just for AV Arcade, AV Arcade Forums are now available for just $15

Find out more

Thanks everyone for your support, and please report bugs you find in this initial release as there are sure to be some in the early days!

In this package, what is the content?
    The new templates, new version of avarcade and forums?

License owner

AV Arcade 5.7 mainly comes to support the forums add-on, but it brings some new features to the core script also, here's some highlights.

New template!
    But you probably already noticed that.

Notifications and Points refinements
    Points were added to AV Arcade in version 5.0 back in 2009. But it's never been properly explained to end-users how to actually earn them and when they earn them. With the new notifications system a small popup appears in the top right to let users know they just earned some points.

Alongside notifying users about the points they've earned, there's also notifications for new private messages, new friend requests, total tickets before a user must register and they're also used to display errors. When a user earns points for posting a comment and similar tasks that don't reload the page, their total points are now updated in the user area instantly.

Points are also less easy to spam. A user cannot earn points from 2 different games quicker than an interval set by the admin. So if a user rates one game and goes to rate another too quickly, they wont earn points. But if a user earns points for posting a comment and then rates the same game, the points will count. It stops people hopping from one game to another, racking up points without actually playing.

More reports
    Your users can now report other user's via their profile and also report private messages to you.

Other bits and bobs

Like:

Unique titles and descriptions generated for category pages such as "All Games - Most Popular - Page 3"
    Updated the login page-redirect to use cookies
    Login redirect works with standard php URL's
    Moved maintenance mode message into the templates
    Stopped Facebook asking for permission to write on user's walls
    Fixed the red template having some text boxes that were white text on a white background
    It is no longer possible to delete or ban the original admin account

The core script is where I'm still quite open to further features as it's only been my focus for the past week or so. It's the forums that have taken the most time.

Plus the new forum paid add-on. Not included in core script.

License owner

Nice to see that the much awaited AV forum add-on is finally here. I'm sure $15 is decently priced for the forums and this would also ensure that the admins who buy this will properly maintain/update the forums regularly
    Good to see $10 increase for new licenses as the script has been constantly improvised.

@Peltiboksi Nice work. Few more snapshots, one video, and a buy now button, and it would look like a perfect sales page..
    Last edited by mikestar20; 10-15-2012 at 05:57 PM.
    High paying Banner Ads : epicgameads.com
    High paying popunder Ads : HERE
    cool games|fun games

License owner

Hurray!
    And installation was super easy after updating to 5.7.
    Last edited by SpikedMath; 10-15-2012 at 11:48 PM.

License owner

Very nice Andy, thank you. Bought and installed, very easy too.

Told you I would be buying this as soon as I noticed it released .

License owner

Man, now it is time for me to decide if I need a forum or not. I do like the core updates for the script.

License owner

Just bought the forums, woot!

Would you mind, Andy, releasing the instructions on what we must change in our current template to work with the forums? (Thank goodness there's an override feature I can use temporarily. It's a very handy feature )

EDIT: Nevermind, I spent half a day figuring it out on my own. (I'm not as proficient as the rest of you all :P I also ran into some server-sided issues with my web host.)
    Last edited by EricL; 10-18-2012 at 02:17 AM.

License owner

Quote Originally Posted by EricL View Post
    Just bought the forums, woot!

Would you mind, Andy, releasing the instructions on what we must change in our current template to work with the forums? (Thank goodness there's an override feature I can use temporarily. It's a very handy feature )
    If you look in the files for just the 5.7 update there are some examples on what you need to add to custom templates to get the new features to work, including the forums. I haven't tried it yet myself as I havent had the time, maybe this weekend. Plus I'm kida diggin the new template, indigo.

License owner

Are you going to implement some forum's latest post on the arcade page?

AV Scripts Founder

Not a bad idea, will consider it.

License owner

Here's a suggestion to those already great forums: A 'View Unread' button (new posts since last visit)

And I think that you forgot to remove points and one forum post when a post or topic is deleted. Or maybe it's a problem on my end?

EDIT:
    Other useful thing to have would be to be able to Subscribe to some threads, a pretty easy modification that I'll probably do myself, but I think everyone would like it!
    Last edited by barytone; 10-24-2012 at 01:51 AM.
    Physics Games - The best online games at GameInterlude
    Temple Run Game
    Play Pokemon Tower Defense at http://pokemon-towerdefense.com
    PTD 2
    Pokemon Tower Defense 2

Epic Game Ads
    Ads making 16$ CPM for tier 1 countries! Recommended!

License owner

Hi alls,

I want buy forum-addon. But when i test... youtube clip does not display.

If i get this problem, how can i fix

//sory for my poor English TT^TT

AV Scripts Founder

It doesn't have a YouTube syntax at this time but it's something I'll consider adding

License owner

I tried adding the BBCode for youtube but obviously there is more to it and I can't code .

I tried adding
    Code:
    , 'youtube': { 'label': '', 'title': BB_CODE }
    to the /avforums/core/bbeditor_settings.php file but it don't work. If i change the BB_CODE part to BB_YOUTUBE then I can't even make a post as the editor won't show up. But with the use of BB_CODE it shows the YouTube button when I try making a post but it don't work right at all.

So yup, I guess there is more to it than just adding a simple line, lol. maybe someone who is better can figure it out unless Andy adds it in an update before hand.

BTW, thanks again for the forums add-on Andy .

License owner

I suggest having some kind of anti-spam mechanism for the forum to prevent spam bots.

ie: akismet or reCaptcha and such.

My last forum was flooded with spammers and it was a pain!

License owner

Quote Originally Posted by milsirhc View Post
    I suggest having some kind of anti-spam mechanism for the forum to prevent spam bots.

ie: akismet or reCaptcha and such.

My last forum was flooded with spammers and it was a pain!
    Only members can post so depending on what you have setup for authentication for your arcade then there isn't to much to worry about.

License owner

But it's not hard for bots to create fake accounts.

I had an old vbulletin instance, and boy, it was a spam ground until I turned on akismet.

License owner

Quote Originally Posted by milsirhc View Post
    But it's not hard for bots to create fake accounts.

I had an old vbulletin instance, and boy, it was a spam ground until I turned on akismet.
    Yea I will agree, once the bots find a forum they can exploit it can be one helluva mess. But the question captcha Andy recently added really should slow them down at least. I havent had any spam signups since this was added myself.

License owner

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    Yea I will agree, once the bots find a forum they can exploit it can be one helluva mess. But the question captcha Andy recently added really should slow them down at least. I havent had any spam signups since this was added myself.
    Thanks for the feedback mate. I'll give this a try!

Will prob get the forum soon.