PDA

View Full Version : Flash API

GoalieGuy6
10-29-2010, 12:34 AM
I'm working on a Flash API for my arcade(s) to submit scores, custom stats, etc. (think Kongregate API, MindJolt API, etc.). It will obviously not be as complex as the MochiGames API, but it will give you some flexibility by allowing you to create your own custom API functions (some ActionScript and PHP knowledge would be required).

I'm interested in knowing if anyone else would be willing to pay for a copy. It will be a lot of work, so I definitely won't be releasing it free.

What exactly would I get?*

Flash

Full source code to all the flash files involved.
Highscore API. Games can submit highscores to your site much like the Kongregate Statistics API, MindJolt API, etc. Planned to be compatible with ActionScript 2 and 3.
Custom stat tracking API. Game developers can track custom events that may be of use to them (will be limited to prevent server overflow).
Full developer documentation for you to post on your site or give to any developers who will be using your API.

PHP

Full documentation and code to setup the API with your site.
Any statistics submitted through the API can be stored in your database.
One score variable per game can be integrated with AV Arcade scores.
Developer zone where game developers can view stats on their game as well as access their custom stat tracking API.

What is not included?*

Unfortunately, nobody is perfect so I can't possibly make everything you might want. Here's some stuff that I probably wouldn't include with the original API, but could release as an add-on or in a subsequent release.

Custom achievements - If you want custom achievements based off statistics, you'll need to wait for an add-on or code it yourself.
Cross-site scores - Obviously this will not be as advanced as MochiMedia's API. The API would only work from your site.
Non-statistics APIs - Although I have plans for some other APIs (think user integration), they would likely be released as an add-on/separate product.

Questions

Why isn't feature xyz on the list?
I can't do everything. Obviously things that aren't listed will be included, and it is quite possible that something listed will get changed/scrapped. In either case, if you think a certain feature would be cool let me know.

How much would such awesomeness cost?
This is going to take a lot of time to develop, and unfortunately I won't be releasing it cheap. Don't expect to pay $5 for such a big product. If you have a problem with the pricing, there's a simple way out: don't buy.

What use would I have for an API?
APIs can be useful for any game site. They allow you to do cool stuff like create achievements and competitions. However, if you think you would have a hard time finding or paying developers/games to integrate the API into, you probably would be better off spending your money elsewhere.

When can I see it in action?
Not for a while. This idea is still in the pre/early development phase and is expected to take a while. Don't look for a stable release until at least mid-December. However, you can expect a beta a bit earlier.

Can I help beta test?
More info on beta testing will be available as I enter later development stages and develop a working system. I will probably be looking for two or three arcades to test the server platform on, along with as many games/devs as possible to test the gaming platform.

How can I support this project?
Feel free to support this project in any way. Submit your own ideas, help beta test in the later stages, or simply give me some nice encouragement! Of course, you can always help out by purchasing an item from the East Coast Scripts shop (http://shop.ecscripts.com/) or even make a donation if you're feeling truly generous.

My question isn't listed
Post it in this thread or send me a PM.

If you actually read that whole block of text, good for you. Thanks for taking the time to look at my next project. Please leave a vote on whether or not you'd be willing to pay for this, and if possible reply with any comments, questions, criticisms, etc. you may have for me.

* Any and all specifications are subject to change if I choose to release the API.

barytone
10-29-2010, 01:51 AM
Would be interested in an API for sure.
Meanwhile, I hope that there will be some updates to some of the ESC mods too! :)

ClutterMedia
10-29-2010, 03:42 PM
I am in for sure

GoalieGuy6
10-29-2010, 06:45 PM
I'll definitely keep updating ECS mods, this is only a part-time project right now :)

Tigerbite
10-30-2010, 02:33 AM
I've been in search of a flash dev for my site, mainly for this project right here. If I don't find one that's willing to work with me, I'd definitely think about this. You know...depending on the final features and pricing. Mmmm API. Yum.

GoalieGuy6
10-30-2010, 02:36 AM
If there's any features you'd like to see just let me know :)

I may also be able to do customizations.

GoalieGuy6
01-05-2011, 01:13 AM
This is just a quick post to let everybody know that this project is not abandoned, development has just been delayed recently due to some problems out of my control.

barytone
01-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Great news :)

PabloAM
01-21-2012, 01:10 PM
Any new about your API??

Achievements will be the best!

Bad Wolf
01-21-2012, 05:19 PM
Any new about your API??

Sadly Goalie disappeared some months back. So I doubt he is going to do this project now.