PDA

View Full Version : What happens to mods on updates?

drzflow15
06-25-2010, 05:56 AM
Hey guys i was just wondering what happens to the mods we have installed when a new update comes available? do they still work?

Chuckun
06-25-2010, 06:19 AM
Most will, as Andy has specified that he hasn't changed any filenames etc.. However, some will need updating..

However, if you only have a few mods installed, I would strongly recommend that you do a fresh install of the upgraded version, then reinstall the mods, as it'd be a lot quicker than updating around the mods manually..

Jack

Bad Wolf
06-25-2010, 01:16 PM
This is where people who dont have alot of mods are at an advantage. Because mods can be added to any file. So, if you have alot of modifications to your site( I have at least 30 on each of my sites some with more) the chances are pretty good that a file will be affected by the update. So updating can really be a bitch. But if your scripts hasnt been altered that much its alot easier to remember what files you have changed. So you just paste your bit of modified code back in to the affected file and your done :) Sadly I have mods on my sites that I dont even remember adding so this update will be a real headache for me :(

Thus the real need to create a plugin system for this script. We have talked about it for some time now. There seem to be several snags ATM though. East Coast Scripts is working on one but it is just in the planning stages and not even close to being coded yet.

salvador
06-25-2010, 07:32 PM
i would say 'it depends' on what you want the plugin system to be able of.

a basic system is quite easy and pretty fast implemented. it is tricky only, if you want 'special' stuff.

i added plugin support to my current template engine in few hours, and it is quite sophisticated/'powerful' nonetheless.

as i build it on a template engine with quite success, i would suggest to build such a engine for av first. another way could be to reuse smarty, even if i dislike smartys template compilation. smarty does support extensions/plugins/filters or whatever they call it, natively, i think.

and utilizing it inside of av should be no problem.

regards,
thomas.

nowares
07-01-2010, 09:54 PM
A rule of thumb for all script / software / etc updates is....

Most point updates (v5.sumthing) will usually work fine or take only a little mod to get working again.

Main updates (v5 to v6 for example) tend to need some form of modification to work, this can take some time depending on the amount of changes made by the creator (Andy).