PDA

View Full Version : Main Features [Updated October]

Andy
08-17-2009, 10:59 PM
Here are the biggest new features in AV Arcade 5:

AJAX Admin: Manage games, categories and more through an AJAX interface and a completely rewritten admin panel.

AJAX Ratings & Comments and more: Rate and comment without reloading the page. New: Add favourite games without opening a new window.

A new template system: Customise AV Arcade further than ever before. Almost any element can be placed anywhere. Want the featured games to appear at the bottom of the page? Think the game description should appear directly under the page title? No problem.

New social features: User profiles have got a massive upgrade that allows users to earn points for participating on your site, add favorite games and more!

Brand new look: Totally new default template that really looks a whole load better than the old one

Full mochi integration: Browse, test and install games to your site all with 1 click and through an AJAX interface.

Refined: No part of AV Arcade has been left untouched. Database refinements mean less CPU load and many lines of code have been compressed down to make AV Arcade Pro snappier than its free counterpart.

SlyJesse
08-17-2009, 11:07 PM
Woo, Sounds like everyones going to have a fun time playing around with it. Great work Andy

Another Dude
08-18-2009, 12:22 AM
Sounds good, Andy
Will you be adding customize page extensions like .html as requested here (http://www.forum.avscripts.net/showthread.php?t=3097)?
Can't wait

Ferron
08-18-2009, 06:15 PM
I'm not a huge fan of an AJAXed admin panel. You can't use the back button, one of the most used features in web browsing. Users with slower computers would have a bad experience, and what will happen with Javascript turned off? If you don't have an HTML version of the admin panel, it will be a huge accessibility issue.

Now for the features. I think AV Arcade will benefit from a better templating system. Maybe something like MyBB's template editor. Also, it would be great if there could be a better user system with pm's, avatars and other essentials in the profile, and a way to befriend users. I think an awards system would be a very good addition too.

Aexkidd
08-18-2009, 08:43 PM
I think that a big improvment in next version could be a change in seo url

- add category name in seo urls like : category-name/12/game-name.html with redirection to prevent duplicates

- or better would be to change the word 'view' in url from acp adding a personal variable

Andy
08-19-2009, 11:38 AM
I'm not a huge fan of an AJAXed admin panel. You can't use the back button, one of the most used features in web browsing. Users with slower computers would have a bad experience, and what will happen with Javascript turned off? If you don't have an HTML version of the admin panel, it will be a huge accessibility issue.

I don't see this as much of a problem. 5% of people have JavaScript turned off which is a small amount and I would doubt many webmasters are in this 5% (because remember, the admin is only used by the site owner and other admins). AJAX doesn't use much in the way of computer resources it's just a different method of sending and receiving data.

Facebook is entirely AJAX and it's one of the biggest sites out there (3rd most popular according to alexa). Without javascript, it just displays a white page. In 2009, it's safe to just assume people have javascript.

nowares
08-19-2009, 12:57 PM
In 2009, it's safe to just assume people have javascript.

Yes and no.
A lot of people have no-script or other JS blockers, but I think everyone will expect JS to be on an arcade site.

If not, all blockers have site-by-site (some page-by-page) exclusions. So it's not really an issue.

All sounds great to me so far.... Now all we need is a killer default skin :D

Razze
08-29-2009, 07:55 AM

Now for the features. I think AV Arcade will benefit from a better templating system. Maybe something like MyBB's template editor. Also, it would be great if there could be a better user system with pm's, avatars and other essentials in the profile, and a way to befriend users. I think an awards system would be a very good addition too.

There is AJAX systems that writes to history so you can use the back button.

taha116
09-01-2009, 01:31 PM
Yes and no.
A lot of people have no-script or other JS blockers, but I think everyone will expect JS to be on an arcade site.

If not, all blockers have site-by-site (some page-by-page) exclusions. So it's not really an issue.

All sounds great to me so far.... Now all we need is a killer default skin :D

God guys so what if they have js blockers? ppl smart enough to have them will realise that they need to unblock stuff to get the site to work properly. They would atleast be prompted that the page needs js or something. Anyways the only ajax tht ppl will see is the ratings and comments right? only u have to see the backend, and i dont think you are stupid and will block it.. i mean you can even whitelist pages and stuff.

nowares
09-01-2009, 03:15 PM
^ That was exactly my point, I believe -_-

taha116
09-07-2009, 02:39 AM
000ooh sorry didnt finish that message properly was suposed to support ur point but made it look like im arguing against u ;p oops