Thread: Manual cropping of wallpapers?

License owner

Default Manual cropping of wallpapers?

Hi,

is there a way to build in the support of cropping wallpapers manually? That means: Someone uploads a wallpaper and can now decide where to crop the wallpaper for the different sizes.

I saw that function in "phpWallpaperScript" and would be very interested to have such a function as well.

Thanks, teha

License owner

I make a little update:

I think it's really difficult to change the whole system now (not just uploading and cropping automatically, but also working with multiple images). The following would be enough I think: The ability to upload the same wallpaper in multiple sizes. For example: now, if I upload a 1920x1200 wallpaper and want to download it in 1280x1024, it has to be cropped, but important parts of the images my be cut out. So, I just upload an additional wallpaper with the size 1280x1024 (or higher with the same aspect ratio) and for any 1280x1024 download the "right" wallpaper could be used.

So what I mean in short: It would by great to upload the same wallpaper in multiple sizes. If a visitor downloads one of those versions, all is fine. If he/she wants to download a wallpaper in a resolution, where no uploaded wallpaper corresponds to, a version with the same aspert ratio is used for resizing the wallpaper. Only if there is no version like that available, the first wallpaper uploaded (a kind of "main wallpaper") is being cropped into the resolution which the visitor wants to download.

I hope you can understand what I mean!

Thanks and kind regards,
    teha

AV Scripts Founder

I understand what you mean. I see it as trying to balance simplicity and power. Obviously allowing for different images to be uploaded for different aspect ratios or resolutions would allow for a lot more choice and power for the user but it's also much more complex than a simple 'upload 1 image, that's it' idea. Maybe I'll see about some different ideas in the future.

License owner

Thank you for your answer! I know, it's difficult to implement so that simplicity does not suffer.

At least, it would be great if there's a way to upload only 2 wallpapers - one 4:3, the other 16:9 for example. Because I uploaded a 1920x1200 wallpaper but there is no 1280x1024 (my current resolution) available. Or is it possible to enable the 1280x1024 (and other) resolutions manually?

Thanks, teha

AV Scripts Founder

In includes/wallpaper/resolutions.inc.php you'll see a list of resolutions in categories. Hopefully you can see in there how you can add/edit the available resolutions.

License owner

Okay, thank you very much! I'll try it that way.

License owner

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    In includes/wallpaper/resolutions.inc.php you'll see a list of resolutions in categories. Hopefully you can see in there how you can add/edit the available resolutions.
    Andy why don't you make a management section for the resolutions.
    so admin can add and delete resolution easily from the db through a admin interface.

AV Scripts Founder

Definitely will think about adding that

License owner

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Definitely will think about adding that
    Thanks once again

all sounds cool. But i think facebbok sistem for uload avatars could be top. So we can move crop upa and down. Is that posible Andy?

AV Scripts Founder

Maybe, probably quite hard to do though. I'll look into it.

yeah its hard. But if there be any option on that way u have bether system than others

Yes! Manual crop will be very convenient for users. Because many wallpapers crop no good by script.

License owner

I too would think manual cropping would be very convenient

I too would think manual cropping would be very convenient

maybe would be bether to make half top left